The ReadyNAS Pro 6 has an serial port at RS232 level.
First tried to connect with an USB to TTL adapter. No luck. After some more reading and searching on the internet i just tried to connect with an USB to RS232 adapter. With positive results!
Counting from the USB ports:
- 1 – GND (pin 5 on RS232 / DB9 adapter)
- 2 – TX (RX / pin 2 on RS232 / DB9 adapter)
- 3 – RX (TX / pin 3 on RS232 / DB9 adapter)
- Use PuTTY or Minicom and configure it with: 9600n8.
- Hookup an USB keyboard to the ReadyNAS. (i use an usb port on the backside)
- Power On the ReadyNAS, see PuTTY of Minicom showing the device booting up ! 🙂 (printscreen follows)
- With the USB keyboard you can hit F3 and enter the BIOS.
- Screen information will by sent to PuTTY or Minicom.
Note, there is also an VGA pin header on the main board. I will try that later, because i have to order some parts. (SUB-D 15 female for an flatcable, and an 16 pin flatcable connector)
Please have a look at these sites to:
- Replace the OS on ReadyNAS Pro
- Category:RNDP4000 – NAS-Central Netgear Wiki
- DB9 Pinout
- NexentaStor Project – Home Brew: Running NexentaStor on a ReadyNAS
- How do I access the boot menu on my ReadyNAS Ultra 6, Ultra 6 Plus, Pro 6, Pro Pioneer, or Pro (Business Edition)?